WikimediaA passenger plane carrying 118 people has landed in Malta after being hijacked by an unknown group.
The Afriqiyah Airways Airbus A320 was intended to be an internal Libyan flight travelling en route from Sebha to the country’s capital of Tripoli when it was hijacked and diverted to Malta, reports The Independent.
Although there is very little information on the situation at the minute the hijackers have reportedly claimed that they will blow the plane up if their demands are not met.
It has been established that #Afriqiyah flight has 111 passengers on board. 82 males, 28 females, 1 infant.
— Joseph Muscat (@JosephMuscat_JM) December 23, 2016
Hijackers have reportedly claimed that they are pro-Gadaffi and that they will let all passengers go, besides the crew, if their demands are met.
Unconfirmed claims state that there are members of the Libyan government on board the Afriqiyah flight.
However as of yet their demands have not been reported on.
#Libya: pictures of Hijacked Libyan Plane @dotemirateseng pic.twitter.com/4JmV9cxfTc
— Global News (@ofirzarfati) December 23, 2016
Speaking to UNILAD, Libyan journalist, Nadia Ramadan, said:
All flights cancelled at Maltese airport. Ongoing negotiations between Maltese officials and hijackers are currently taking place.
Reports claim that hijackers on board are armed with hand grenades.
The plane is currently surrounded by soldiers.
#Breaking: Hijackers threaten to blow up the Afriqiyah plane which came from #Sebha & landed in #Malta instead of #Tripoli #Libya #PRTs pic.twitter.com/Ab0hpX0RUB
— Nadia Ramadan (@NadiaR_LY) December 23, 2016
A senior security official at Tripoli’s Mitiga airport told Reuters:
The pilot reported to the control tower in Tripoli that they were being hijacked, then they lost communication with him. The pilot tried very hard to have them land at the correct destination but they refused.
UPDATE:
Some passengers, thought to be the women on board the flight, have left the plane after negotiations. It is thought that all 88 men on board have not been freed.
The Maltese Prime Minister tweeted to confirm the news.
First 25 passengers released.
— Joseph Muscat (@JosephMuscat_JM) December 23, 2016
Shortly afterwards, as negotiations continued, a second batch of passengers were released.
65 passengers released so far.
— Joseph Muscat (@JosephMuscat_JM) December 23, 2016
More as we get it